Friday, September 19, 2014

Dinosaur Days

Let me start off by saying that blogging again has been an AWESOME motivator! It's given me that extra dose of inspiration to make my lessons the best possible! Here's what we've been up to this week!
 

It's no secret that I LOVE dinosaurs. I went through a really huge dinosaur phase when I was 5 and 6 and have loved them ever since. In fact I remember coming home from Kindergarten or 1st grade and couldn't wait to watch 1 of 2 things: 1. The Land Before Time (I cry every time!) or 2. A Walter Cronkite Nova special about dinosaurs that my mom recorded for me from PBS. (Oh yeah, I've always been a super cool kid.) But seriously, dinosaurs are universal. All the kids in my class LOVE them!
So when it was time to teach the letter D, I knew that most of my lessons would have to have something to do with dinosaurs. We had SO much fun! We counted dinosaurs, compared dinosaurs, dug for dinosaurs, painted with dinosaurs, made dinosaur projects. and did a lot of dinosaur pretending!





The most popular activity this week was digging for dinosaurs! I set up a bin with some Kidfetti and some dinosaurs as well as the dinosaur sorting cards from All Kids Network and had the kids use spoons to dig out the dinosaurs. I showed them the above video and we talked about how careful you have to be when digging up dinosaur bones. They then sorted the dinosaurs they found!




We also used our dinosaurs to make dinosaur footprints! This was one of the favorite activities of the week. Anything to do with making dinosaurs stomp is fun!




We made some dinosaur sun catchers that I found on Pinterest. I love how they turned out!

 

We also dotted these dinosaurs and decorated our own dinosaurs named after ourselves! The kids got to choose what kind of dinosaur and what color they wanted to be and went to town decorating! It was great practice for learning how much glue to use!  After, I asked them a little information about their dinosaurs. I love what they came up with!







Our favorite activity by far was making dinosaur feet and having a DINOSAUR DANCE PARTY! The kids had so much fun. There was lots of roaring and stomping (hence the blurry pictures).
 


 


Here are a couple of our favorite videos from this week...



       

   I hope you've enjoyed getting a peek at our dinosaur fun! Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment