Friday, May 11, 2012

Money, Money, Money... Money!

 I have had the O'Jays - For The Love Of Money stuck in my head for the last 3 days as we've started learning about money this week! 

We started the unit by talking about the coins using the adorable poems pictured below. They really help! My favorite part of the lesson was when I was discussing why we have coins with my kiddos. I explained that coins were a way to break down the 100¢ that equals a dollar. I asked why I couldn't just use half a dollar to pay for something that costs 50¢ since they are worth the same. I pulled out a fake paper dollar and ripped it in half and they went crazy! There were lots of surprised looks and hushed whispers along with shouts of "She really ripped it! She ripped a dollar!" It was too funny!




 To practice coin recognition we played a fun game where I gave the kids a 5x5 grid and a handful of play money. They placed one coin in each square. I rolled a number cube with pictures of the coins and they removed whichever coin I landed on. The first one to clear off their board wins! I used the following cards to help those who had some trouble distinguishing the coins. I printed mine on colored card stock and attached coin die cuts from Dollar Tree.


You can get the blank cards here.

Next week we are going to play money bingo. This game is bingo with a twist. Kids who still need help matching coins with their values will randomly choose a coin and place it with it's amount to get 4 in a row. Those kids who have this down will roll a number cube to determine the number of coins they can choose and add them together to match to the values & get 4 in a row. You can find the file in my TPT store here.


I hope all of you are having a fabulous Friday! TGIF!


No comments:

Post a Comment